Krishna Janmashtami 2013

This forum is for General Discussions. Talk about everything from your favorite books and funniest jokes to politics and current events.
Biyatris

Re: Krishna Janmashtami 2013

#1 Postby Biyatris » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm

It says that whenever there is darkness in the world, whenever strife and ignorance prevail, the Lord incarnates to shine His divine light on the darkness. He grabs hold of the faltering world, preventing it from drifting too far astray..!!

Most Indians, and now many Westerners as well, are in the verge of celebrating Janmashtami the date of Lord Krishna's birth. We know that Lord Krishna’s verbal message to Arjun on the battlefield was “Stand up. Do your duty.” However, we tend to forget that there are also invaluable lessons and divine teachings embedded in the very life He lived.We know that Krishna has born in a prison where His parents were being held as prisoners and at the time of His birth,the chains were broken, and the barred doors gently opened. There is a beautiful message here,even from the first moment of the Lord’s life: we may be living in the darkness of midnight; we may be bound and chained by so many attachments, temptations, angers, grudges, pains and by the binding force of maya. We may feel ourselves locked into the prison of our own bodies, the prison of duality. However, as soon as the Lord takes birth in our hearts, all darkness fades, all chains are broken and all prison doors open freely. Wherever the Lord is, there are no locks.

As we celebrate the divine occasion of Lord Krishna’s birth, let us also remember to take to heart the message of His life: never lose yourself due to external circumstances, never lose your smile, never lose your hope..!!
Attachments
baby-krishna.jpg

Nakul123

#2 Postby Nakul123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 am

Krishna Janmashtami is the celebration of the birth of Lord Shri Krishna, the incarnation of Lord Vishnu, who is believed to have been born about five thousand years ago in Mathura in 'Dwapar Yuga'. and Janmashtami.

Janmashtami is one such festival that is celebrated equally in all over India. Preparations for the same start weeks in advance. Different parts of the country celebrate the festival differently. According to me this festival is a celebration of spiritual event.

In South India, the celebrations are most prevalent in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. In both the places, the idol of Lord Krishna is placed in a decorated mantapa. Bhakshanam (snacks and sweets in Sanskrit), are specially prepared for the festival, and offered to Lord Krishna. Along with it, fruits that are his favorites are also offered. In some parts of india, chakli, avalakki and bellada panaka are prepared especially for the festival. In North India, celebrations are no less than being called extravagant and splendid. While Gokul and Vridnavan (Lord's birth and growing up place) witness flocks of visitors coming to the place to celebrate the festival at Krishna janamabhoomi, the other parts organize different events and practice different rituals to mark the occasion. In the cities of Mumbai and Pune, dahi-handi is organized wherein a group of men form human pyramid to reach a high-hanging pot of butter and break it. In the city of Dwarka in Gujarat and the eastern states of Orissa and West Bengal, people celebrate it with fasting and doing puja at midnight.

Though the rituals practiced vary from one region to the other, the spirit and devotion to the Lord is same everywhere. Thus, it wouldn't be wrong to say that Krishna is the most loved and celebrated God in India.
Attachments
Krishna.jpg

HR-Shivi

#3 Postby HR-Shivi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 am

One of the most famous festivals of India, Krishna Janmashtami, is the celebration of the birth of the Lord Krishna.

The Krishna Janmashtami is observed with different rituals at different places. Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated on Ashtami tithi of Krishana Janmashtamithe Hindu calendar. Celebrations include Rasa lila, which includes dramatically representation of the Lord Krishna.

Krishna Janmashtami has its special place because lord Krishna was believed to an incarnation of the supreme lord Vishnu. It is a festival for spiritual elevation along with celebrations all over India and this festival is celebrated in North as well as in the south India.

Being religious doesn't mean getting fooled by others; I don't say I am non-believer but it is up to individuals’ interest level. Here are some thoughts/ dialogues deeply inspired by the movie OMG-Oh My God! to support my views:

1. Jahan dharm hai, wahan satya ke liye jagah nahi hai ... aur jahan satya hai truth hai, wahan dharm ki zaroorat hi nahi hai
English Translation: Where there is religion, there is no space for truth ... and where there is truth, there is no need for religion over there.

2. Mazhab insaanon ke liye banta hai ... mazhab ke liye insaan nahi bante
English Translation: Religion is made for humans ... human is not made for religion.

And the one that is most adaptable in our context:
3. Main Krishna hoon isliye chamatkar karta hoon ... chamatkar karta hoon isliye Krishna nahin hoon
English Translation: I am Krishna that's why I do magic ... not because I do magic I am Krishna

Although, the festival has its same cultural value even in today’s era. Time has just changed the way of celebrating.
Like earlier the people of a particular locality themselves used to break the dahi handi, which now the Govinda Pathaks break.
This festival now marks the presence of the Indian mythology, which now seems too lost in the huge crowds of this new generation. Now the breaking of the handis has become more of a social political event. Most of the political parties keep rewards upon the breaking of the Handis which is moving the essence of this festival from heartily zeal towards money.

In some places the whole event is organized by the political parties. Due to all this the whole charm of the festival is fading.
Attachments
Janmashtami.jpg
Last edited by HR-Shivi on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shivani

#4 Postby Shivani » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 am

Krishna Janmashtami is One of the biggest religious festivals in the world, it is celebrated by nine hundred and thirty million people around the world--and two million in the US alone. To devotees, it’s Christmas and New Year’s in one, a day of deep spiritual renewal and celebration that effectively finishes an old year and begins a fresh one.

As we all know why we celebrate this festival because its everyone’s favourite God Krishna’s birthday..and how do we celebrate it, usually devotees observe fast for the whole day and night, worshipping him and keeping vigil through the night while listening to his tales and exploits, recite hymns from the Gita, sing devotional songs.

We celebrate so many festivals in a year..but whats there which make Janmashtami more special is Lord Krishna’s personable-ness. He reciprocates in unique, personal ways with every devotee who offers Him love—He is the most adorable, mischievous son, the most compassionate friend. And on Janmashtami, devotees celebrate Krishna in all of these aspects.Some of them consider him their leader, hero, protector, philosopher, teacher and friend all rolled into one.

For me its completely a spiritual elevation which we celebrate auspiciously…because whatever way you worship Krishna on Janmashtami, He will reciprocate with you accordingly. It’s a meditation that gives you an extremely rewarding devotional experience.
Attachments
krishna_flute.jpg

pearl

#5 Postby pearl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 am

Janmashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna is celebrated with great devotion and enthusiasm. Sri Krishna is considered as the one of the most powerful human incarnations of the Lord Vishnu. He was born years ago in Mathura. The sole objective of Sri Krishna's birth was to free the Earth from the evilness of demons. He played an important role in Mahabharata and propagated the theory of bhakti and good karma which are narrated deeply in the Bhagwat Geeta.

The Janmashtami celebration of Mathura and Vrindavan, the places where Sri Krishna had spent his life, are very special. On this day temples and homes are wonderfully decorated and illuminated. Night long prayers are offered and religious mantras are sung in the temples.

In different parts of India, it is celebrated in different colours... In Mathura, pilgrims play janmashtami with flowers & colours... while in Mumbia it is celebrated with dahi handi. Cultural dances add fun to it... Several drama skits unfolding the birth and life events of Shri Krishna... We celebrate Janmashtami by fasting and worship until midnight, as lord krishna was born in midnight.

Floors in houses are decorated with footprints made from flour, to symbolize Krishna's childhood sport of stealing butter from houses. 56 Bog, to be considered as prasad is made & distributed among devotees. Kids are dressed as Krishna, Gopiya, Radha in beautiful attire, called as "Jhakiya"... Lord krishna is considered as a child to mother in India, kids tie rakhi on wrist of kanhaiya. This festival shows love towards god, a spirit of togetherness.

Shikha Gupta

#6 Postby Shikha Gupta » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 am

Krishna Jinka Naam hai…Gokul jinka dhaam hai…Aise Sri Krishna bhagwan ko humara shat shat pranaam hai!!

Janmashtami the festival of commemorating the birthday of Hindu Lord an Avatar of the Hindu deity Vishnu. Krishna Janmashtami is observed on the Ashtami tithi, the eighth day of the dark half or Krishna Paksha of the month of Bhadrapada in the Hindu calendar, when the Rohini Nakshatra is ascendant. The festival always falls within mid-August to mid-September this is also known as Gokulashtami and Krishnashtami in various regions of India. Wherein people visit temples at night, joint their hands and bow their heads in front of Krishna's idol with enormous faith.The main significance of Janmashtami is to encourage goodwill and to discourage bad will. Krishna Jayanti also celebrates togetherness. The holy occasion brings people together, and signifies unity and faith so enjoy this festival with full zeal and devotion..

May Lord Krishna bless all!!

Happy Krishna Janamashtmi...

karan

#7 Postby karan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 am

A festival for spiritual elevation or just a celebration

Krishna Janmashtami - Birth of Hindu God Shri Krishna.. According to me it is a festival of spiritual elevation not just a celebration but this elevation in itself is a celebration.. Now days when a baby child takes birth, family members say 'Krishna has taken birth' this is the power of spirituality and not only this today God Shri Krishna is also one of the strongest management guru accepted globally..

Also earlier science, who use to use to laugh on the magic's done by God Krishna accept them .. For example: picking the mountain on small finger & now science says that there is centre point of gravity on every thing and if we pick the thing from that place the weight is zero.. Not only this, Krishna the manifestation of Hindu deity Lord Narayan , has also stated very strong principles in Geeta and it is been said if one follows 10 % of those principals there life becomes fruitful..

Also Krishna personification of being ideal for almost everyone is also known as God that cure almost every pain.. Being God of Hindu, still we many foreigners from across the world saying 24 * 7 " Hare Rama , Hare Krishna " and made Escon Temple in almost every part of World..

Lord Krishna showed us friendship with Sudama, Love with Lord Radha, helped mankind by his teaching attitude, guiding Arjuna & showed us being the ruler with soft heart, still washing feet's of his friend.. For me the bond of Love & Friendship is showed by Lord Krishna & his birthday is a Celebration for mankind..

Not only this I personally feel, if I am writing this article its just because Lord Krishna .. Happy Birthday Lord Krishna..
Attachments
3715173_f260.jpg

Yatin

#8 Postby Yatin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 am

Krishnashtami or popularly known as Janmashtami in north India is celebrated on the eighth day of the month of Bhadrapada as the birth memorial of the Hindu deity ‘KRISHNA’. Hindu celebrate Janmashtami by fasting and staying up until midnight, the time when Krishna is believed to have been born. Images of Krishna's infancy are placed in swings and cradles in temples and homes. At midnight devotees gather around for devotional songs, dance and exchange gifts. Some temples also conduct reading of the Hindu religious scripture Bhagavad Gita.

God is often conceived as the Supreme Being and principal object of faith.He is considered the creator and sustained of the universe and worshipped as a fair jurist who does good for good and punishes the guilty. The belief of the existence of God inculcates a feeling of fear against evil and discourages the idea of attempting to do something wrong. I strongly believe in this idea of idolizing an abstract figure of perfection. Just the belief of such an existence makes a lot of difference to human nature and its manner of conceptualism and way of acting.

Spiritualism to me is meditation, peace of mind, effort to evaluate and kill the evil in me. Hence, memorialization of the divine sources is a form of commemoration of this spirituality that I believe in. To some it might be just a celebration, a source of happiness and get together but to me it is more of a concourse with my inner self, my soul.

Happy Janmashtami to all of you..!!
Attachments
Krish.jpg

Namita

#9 Postby Namita » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:10 am

Janmashtami is the joyful celebration of Lord Krishna’s birth. Major celebrations of Krishna Janmashtami takes place at midnight as Krishna is said to have made his divine appearance in that hour. Fasting, bhajans, pujas and many other rituals mark Janmashtami celebrations in India.

Devotees spend the eve of Janmashtami by praying and fasting till midnight. Temples have idols of Krishna placed in a jhoola, which is rocked by devotees thronging the temple. Devotees also chant mantras like “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare”. Temples also follow the practice of setting up jhankis or tableaux depicting scenes from the life of Krishna.

The incarnation of the lord himself and his life teaches us everything that we need to know it actually portrays the symbolic significance of the highest truth..every ritual associated with his birth the prayer, the fasting are actually the cleansers that are needed to purify our mind and prepare us to get a hold of the truth the in essence Krishna is formless and has no beginning or end.. !!

However we should also not forget that he took birth for a some important reasons...the 4 lines below nail one of those points.

यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत ।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम् ॥
परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे ॥

Yada yada hi dharmasya, glanir bhavati bharata |
Abhyutthanam adharmasya, tadatmanam srjamy aham ||
"Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend myself."
Paritranaya sadhunam, vinasaya ca duskritam |
Dharma-samsthapanarthaya, sambhavami yuge yuge ||
"To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I myself appear millennium after millennium".

Here I conclude with my opinion on this topic that its the only festival on which we elevate our spiritual feelings to the fullest and celebrate the same with utmost pleasure.

May this Janmashtami bring happiness in your life & hatred will be far apart from your life.
Enjoy the festival with love on your heart and good wishes for others.
JAI SHRI KRISHNA
Attachments
Krishna.jpg

Shivani

Krishna Janmashtami 2013

#10 Postby Shivani » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 am

Krishna Janmashtami..the birthday of Lord Krishna..So lets celebrate this festival this year in a different way..by sharing our thoughts on an issue which is not pretty clear till now..that still is it...A festival for spiritual elevation or just a celebration...
Attachments
Krishna_Janmashtami.jpg

Return to “General Discussions”