Marketing vs Sales

Biyatris

Re: Marketing vs Sales

#11 Postby Biyatris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm

In a sales-driven company, you may tend to view sales as the moneymaker and marketing as the money spender.But marketing and sales have a common goal of increasing revenues, even though they play separate and distinct functions.Once the Marketing Plan has been developed, communicate it throughout the organization. This will enable sales and marketing to coordinate their efforts.

Shivani

#12 Postby Shivani » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 pm

There is a big difference between Marketing & Sales, but in the end both aim at revenue generation for the company...basically sales can be regarded as selling a product whereas marketing is advertising that product in the masses...both these activities relate to each other but are very much differentiable due to their working nature and skills of people involved in them.
Basically marketing paves you the path to reach the prospect and sales is the ultimate result of that...Both do co-exist..they have no identities individually... :)

Namita

#13 Postby Namita » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Marketing and sales have a common goal of increasing revenues, even though they play separate and distinct functions.

Sales is important because it is the bottom line of any business.A sales team in an organisation is also known as the revenue generator.

Marketing is about getting a product known.You cannot sell a product without marketing, marketing comes first.It is about identifying a customer's need or want. If a customer doesn't need or want it, you can't sell it.The real role of marketing is to get the most appropriate customers and prospects to decide that your business is the best place to buy the products and services you provide. The tools available to accomplish these marketing tasks include print and broadcast advertising, the Internet, direct mail, telemarketing, public relations and sponsorship, among others.

Marketing and Sales are the two sides of a coin.Both are equally important when it comes to generate revenue or run a business successfully.

Shikha Gupta

#14 Postby Shikha Gupta » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 pm

I think both plays important role in any business because for eg.If you have a very good product but you don't have strong marketing team to endorse that product in market then people will not get aware of that...So for creating awareness among the people marketing is very important where as if you are unable to sell that product then all your marketing activities will be useless ..and for that you should have a very strong sales team who can sell that product and generate revenue for the company as we all know the ultimate motto of every company is to generate revenue which can be done by sales team only so, sales team have a bit high importance in any organisation... :)

ashish

#15 Postby ashish » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

Yes, even though the marketing and sales teams jobs are deeply interconnected, its quite known that they don’t always get along. Each team believes that they play more important role in revenue generation for the company.

But each dept has its own importance. Its Marketing team job to rolls out a good plan. While Salespeople are the ones who make a living by closing sales. Hence one will find marketing team taking feedbacks from sales departments as they are closer to the customers. Similarly salespeople capitalize on a brilliant plan rolled out by marketing team.

A bad plan from marketing team would make difficult for salespeople to close sales, while if sales team doesn't puts efforts to capitalize on marketing plan the amount invested by marketing team would go in vain. In fact their roles are so intertwined that if looked closely both are affected by each other's efforts, in short both rise and fall together.

prashant

#16 Postby prashant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

What I feel is both the departments have their own importance...every product available in the market needs both marketing strategies and sales strategies equally..thus both are incomplete without one another..

Actually the entire process wherein a product is created and sold includes several steps which are as follows :-
1. Customer awareness
2. Brand awareness
3.Brand consideration
4.Brand prefrence
5.Purchase Intention
6.Purchase
7.Customer Loyalty
8. Customer Advocacy.

Out of the above mentioned 8 points, first four i.e., customer awareness, Brand awareness, Brand consideration and brand prefrence are part of marketing Dept. while the remaining four i.e., Purchase intention, Purchase, Customer Loyalty and customer advocacy are part of sales dpt.

As we can see if we miss out any of the above point the whole cycle gets distorted and leads to product failure in the market...thus my opinion is that both marketing and sales go hand in hand and make a product a successful product in the market.

archit

#17 Postby archit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 am

This is a very debatable topic but my take is crystal clear..It is sales team who help in increasing revenue of the company...Today it is hyper competitive market and customer is bombarded with information and has various option to choose from..they reason he goes with brand X and not with Brand Y is because of his interaction and level of trust and comfort he builds with Sales person of Brand X. If Marketing helps in generating more revenue all sales person should be fired and with the cost saved companies can give full page advertisement in News paper with maximum discount (Trust me NO company will do this.. :D )

People purchase because of trust built in product by sales person... they don't purchase brand..

rachit

#18 Postby rachit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am

According to me we cannot judge that in an organisation who is more important because both marketing person and the sales person have their own importance...They both perform their task to generate the company revenue...

Marketing is the foundation for Sales...Leads in a company are generated by the marketing person and those leads are converted into sales by the Sales person...Marketing person pulls the customers and the sales person after that push those customer to generate the company revenue...

Finally sales is the ultimate result of marketing so we can say that both are important...

avinash

#19 Postby avinash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am

No doubt that sales team is the revenue generators for any company..so they are important, after all they are front liners for the organisation, .. however the importance of marketing people can not be ignored due to this, they also have their role in increasing the revenue of the company by developing the new products and by giving inputs of their market research.
But due to the reasons that we don't even find marketing guys in small companies and their role come at a very high end.. the extra point goes to sales team as they are the foundation of any start up companies.
Conclusion :: Sales 6****** ,, Marketing 4**** :geek:

KaranL

#20 Postby KaranL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 am

Marketing and Sales are two sisters and mother is the organization

Talking about the share in revenue, in my opinion both play equal role, i.e. 50% of revenue is generated by sales and rest 50% is generated by marketing

Marketing people make the product and sales people make product sell , ultimately the revenue generation part is done by sales team , but one should not forget that product was designed , researched , promoted and various other things were done by marketing department too ..
Also , I think both DEAPRTMENT'S can’t be separated from one other, so I would say, these both department are equally important and both the department ROCKS …. :) :) :) :)

Return to “Marketing Management”