TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF: A BIG TRAP

This discussion Board is for Career and Interview related queries , advice and tips. Expert Advice on how to answer various job interview and career related issues etc.
shreya

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF: A BIG TRAP

#1 Postby shreya » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:53 am

~~...Tell me something about Yourself or Introduce yourself.... This question seems to be simple yet difficult..
About 80% of all interviews starts with this question.. Trust me, this is a big trap... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Generally candidates are unprepared for this question... The interviewer starts the interview with this question to make the candidates feel comfortable with the interview environment and pressure. Also, the interviewer wants to know about you from your perspective. Sometimes he must be checking your communication skills, your confidence level or convincing skills. :shock:
This isn't just a warm up question, but a chance to sell yourself as the perfect candidate for the job.
According to me,‘Tell me about yourself’ isn't even a question. Its just an open invitation for the candidates to impress the interviewer and get the job. :geek:
But most candidates often fumbles, babbles, stumble and freeze in the moment and articulate just a couple of irrelevant points.
Don't get nervous..try to introduce some of your most important employment-oriented skills as well as your education and accomplishments to the interviewer. Answer to this question is very important because this will decide in which direction the whole interview will go on, it positions you for the rest of the interview. That's why this statement is often called the " Positioning Statement".
Start with the present and tell why you are well qualified for the position. Remember that the key to all successful interviewing is to match your qualifications to what the interviewer is looking for. In other words you must sell what the buyer is buying. This is the one and the only strategy in job hunting.

So, before you answer this or any question it's important that you try to uncover your interviewer's greatest need, want, problem or goal.

One should take the opportunity to show his/her communication skills by speaking clearly and concisely in an organized manner. Since there is no right or wrong answer for this question hence it is important to appear friendly...~~
:P :P

Return to “Interview & Career Discussion”