In the Era of Internet of Things (IoT)

This forum is for General Discussions. Talk about everything from your favorite books and funniest jokes to politics and current events.
aravind07

In the Era of Internet of Things (IoT)

#1 Postby aravind07 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Off late I was brushing through old newspapers to find some interesting articles. Suddenly I came across an article 'Five ways to reduce gadget addiction' (dated 16th December, 2014 on Economic Times). The article had suggestions like finding 'Me Time', 'Detach from Mobile Data' and so on. For a moment I was wondering the relevance of articles like these in this era of IT Revolution :shock:. I mean today the keywords in IT are BIG DATA, INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT), ANALYTICs, SMAC Technology (Social, Media, Analytics and Cloud Computing) and the list goes on...which are going to turn our lives.

We're moving towards an era where we'll be connected to the internet 24X7. So where does the idea of detaching from internet stand. Already manufacturing industries are using machine 2 machine communications and soon these will be linked to Internet of Things.

Gartner Inc. estimates that there'll be 26 billion devices that'll be connected to IoT by 2020. The list of devices include smart watches, smart refrigerator, smart thermostat wearable devices, etc apart from the smartphones and PC's. The application of IoT has been already diversified into health, manufacturing, media, environmental monitoring, transportation, home automation etc. Just think of a world where our refrigerator texting us which fruit to buy while in the grocery shop :D.

To conclude I think it's better to learn how to adjust to live with things connected to the Internet rather than getting detached from the same.
[b]ARAVIND MOHAN
"Every saint is a Sinner of his past"

Return to “General Discussions”